Exemplory case of comparison essay in theory of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a particular sort of art that can help to comprehend the present-day history also to know the way the main tendencies of social development in past times were formed.
Talk about formation of designs at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture during the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules additionally the maxims of plot construction, reflecting the thought of orderliness and excellence for the universe, nature and culture.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged in the last half of this eighteenth century was designed to show and educate on examples and pictures that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided because of the proven fact that all evil may be overcome.
Within our literature up to the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing each other and pursuing the same goal: to make society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality plus the rules of human behavior. Ways to achieve this goal when you look at the philosophy of classicism were thought as the assertion associated with the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were according to a clear division of creative designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies in which the foundation for the plot is definitely important historic activities, and actors – the gods and strongest for this globe, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These were related to the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could only be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance for the unity of the time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with visibility, zygote, growth of action, cv editing culmination and resolution limited the alternative of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the text of cause and impact, quality expression associated with the primary idea of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to make use of the way of creative expression. Attention to household details, a description of emotional experiences, the image associated with the inner realm of guy along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel records can be found in the literature. The development of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and made it more democratic: the eye of both authors and visitors had been the fate of a typical person, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
In summary of essay give brief comparison of designs
Therefore, the difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be follows:
- The subject of the image within the works of classicism are very important, meaningful events that determine the fate of somebody who is obliged to obey the founded order in addition to determined span of events.
- In the middle of attention of writers – sentimentalists – the inner world of heroes, effective at deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is just a literary trend when the basis for the artistic method may be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism does not have such a division, because its task is to teach the senses, using many visual method for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres characteristic of sentimentalism are a novel, letters, diaries, travel notes.
- Classicalism argued educational ideas on the basis of the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner realm of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating an individual, you can easily enhance the whole society.